Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Review: Control by Laura Marie Altom


Genre: Romance
Release: September 16th, 2014

Blurb:
Never again. Fleeing her hometown to escape an abusive marriage, Ella Patton swears she has surrendered to a man for the last time. But while living under a new name, she meets a kind, handsome stranger who seems different—and will be moving on soon, making Ella reckless enough to break her rules. With a kiss, the stranger opens the door to desires Ella believed she would never know. Then he makes an unexpected proposal.

A dot-com billionaire from humble beginnings, Liam Stone is a man whose past has made him compassionate yet guarded—much like the beautiful, secretive woman he stumbles upon in a remote Southern town. Though he intends only a dalliance, when the time comes to return home to San Francisco, Liam cannot bear the thought of leaving her behind. But when he tries to entice her to join him, he finds the tables turning dizzingly fast. Suddenly a little seduction becomes a huge battle for one thing: control.



Review:
Control, when it first started out, felt like a mash-up for Safe Haven and Pretty Woman. Then it got weird. I really wanted to like Control, but everything was a bit dramatic and over-the-top for me. There was so much back and forth between Liam and Ella that I practically had whiplash... okay, now I'm being dramatic, but seriously they were hot and cold so often it was hard to connect and believe in their relationship.

Also, I didn't realize how dark and sad it was going to be. Is this really a romance story? From physical and verbal abuse, to suicides... It's a lot of take in. Willow, Ella's best friend, was a hot mess and to say she was an unlikable character is an understatement. I hate to say it, but her personality and party girl antics were such a turn off that I didn't really care what ended up happening to her. Harsh, I know. Then there's Garrett and I've only got one word for him-- asshole. And poor Nathan... he's like a little puppy that keeps getting kicked, but he sure can turn into a jerk at times that it makes me wonder what he's capable of.

When I read the description for Control I thought it had a lot of potential. I wanted to read about a woman breaking free of her old life, opening herself up to love and slowly rebuilding herself from past hurts. Which is kind of what I got, but it wasn't executed well, and the drama, in my opinion, took away from Ella and Liam's budding relationship. It's hard to connect to a story and its characters if you don't feel for them or believe in them.

Written Revelry gives Control a 2 out of 5.
 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-31266-1375940645-2_zpse5012298.gif

Happy Reading,
A
Click.Tweet.Buy.
Laura Marie Altom

@LauraMarieAltom


 

No comments:

Post a Comment